Common ESET Installation Error Messages
MESSAGE: Error communicating with kernel.
- SOLUTION: Visit our Knowledgebase article for this error
MESSAGE: ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus installation ended prematurely
- SOLUTION 1: Visit our Knowledgebase article for this error
- SOLUTION 2: Perform a manual uninstallation
MESSAGE: Error 2878
SOLUTION: Visit our Knowledgebase article for this error.
MESSAGE: Error 1603
SOLUTION: Perform a manual uninstallation
MESSAGE: Installation has been interrupted, Error Code: WIN.1620
- SOLUTION: Install your ESET home product using an offline installer. You can use the same ESET license after successful installation. Download and install ESET offline or install older versions of ESET products
MESSAGE: SC Error Code 11
- SOLUTION: If you are installing ESET Remote Administrator on a server, make sure that you are logged into the administrator account while performing the installation.
MESSAGE: Uninstallation of the previous version failed. Please uninstall it manually and run the installer again.
SOLUTION: Perform a manual uninstallation
MESSAGE: This product version is not intended for server operating systems.
- SOLUTION: Follow the links below to learn about system requirements for ESET non-server products in more detail.
MESSAGE: Enter a valid Password to continue uninstallation.
SOLUTION: Your ESET product installation is protected by a password. Press F5 to access the Advanced setup tree, expand Access setup → User interface → Password protect settings and enter a valid Password to continue uninstallation.
- If you do not know your user-defined password, use the ESET Unlock Utility to remove it and restore access to the configuration settings.
MESSAGE: This product version is not compatible with the installed version. It is therefore not possible to run the reinstallation. Please uninstall current product version and restart the installation.
- SOLUTION: Make sure that you are installing a newer version of the same ESET product you had previously installed. Refer to the following ESET Knowledgebase articles for more information:
MESSAGE: The header is corrupt.
- SOLUTION: This error occurs when a user tries to decompress (unRar) the .exe installation file instead of allowing the installer to automatically extract the files. If you have downloaded an ESET product installation file from ESET's website, double-click the file to initiate installation. The install files will be automatically extracted and the wizard will guide you through the installation process.
MESSAGE: This installation package is intended for 32-bit operating systems. Please use an installation package for 64-bit operating systems.
- SOLUTION: This error occurs when a user tries to install an ESET product on an operating system with architecture that does not match the architecture of the ESET product. To install the correct version of ESET or to determine which type of operating system you are using, visit one of the following ESET Knowledgebase articles:
MESSAGE: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: <path>\<installer file name>.msi or a record in Application Event log Product: ESET <product name> -- Error 1316
- CAUSE: This error message appears when .msi installer is renamed. File name of ESET .msi installer package has been changed.
- SOLUTION: Use ESET .msi installer package with its original file name. You can change the file name back to its original name. In case you do not know the original file name, we recommend you to download the .msi installer package again from the download section of ESET website while making sure its name does not change.
MESSAGE: Installation has been interrupted (Install error 1618)
- CAUSE: This error typically occurs when another Windows installation is trying to install or update on your computer. The other Windows installation may be active only in the background when the Windows Installer service continues to run as an active process.
- SOLUTION: Complete other Windows installations that are in progress. Refer to the following ESET Knowledgebase articles for more information:
MESSAGE: The installation was not completed successfully (Error Code: MSI.1406, MSI.1303)
- CAUSE: The error codes MSI.1406 and MSI.1303 indicate a conflict with your system permissions and the installation of ESET.
SOLUTION: Right-click the ESET installer file, click Run as Administrator, and then follow the installation wizard. If you still receive the error, create the following three folders directly on the C:\ Drive: 'ESET Security', 'ESET Modules', and 'ESET Data'. Run the ESET installer and follow the instructions based on your method below to change the default installation file path:
- Live installer or offline installer: When prompted to Enable LiveGrid and Detection of PUAs, click Change installation folder. Change the installation paths to the folders you created above and click Continue.
- Install from MSI: When prompted to Enable Detection of PUAs, click Advanced Settings. Change the installation paths to the folders you created above and click Continue.
If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please email ESET Technical Support.