Common ESET Installation Error Messages
Error communicating with kernel.
Installation ended prematurely (ESET Smart Security Premium, ESET Internet Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus
To resolve this error, run the uninstall utility to remove the partial installation. Visit our Knowledgebase article for instructions
- You can also resolve this error by performing a manual installation. Visit our Knowledgbase article for instructions
Error 2878: Warning: Other security products were found OR Installation Error. Please try again or download and install and offline installer
For additional information, visit our Knowledgebase article for this error.
To resolve this error, perform a manual uninstallation. Visit our Knowledgebase article for instructions
Installation has been interrupted, Error Code: WIN.1620
To resolve this error, Install your ESET home product using an offline installer. You can use the same ESET license after a successful installation. Visit our Knowledgebase article for instructions
SC Error Code 11
If you are installing ESET Remote Administrator on a server, make sure that you are logged into the administrator account while performing the installation.
Uninstallation of the previous version failed. Please uninstall it manually and run the installer again.
Visit our Knowledgebase article for instructions to: Perform a manual uninstallation
This product version is not intended for server operating systems.
For additional information about the system requirements for non-server ESET products, visit the appropriate Knowledgebase article:
- System Requirements for ESET Windows home products
System Requirements for ESET Endpoint Security / ESET Endpoint Antivirus (Business Users)
Enter a valid Password to continue uninstallation.
Your ESET product has been protected by a settings password. Press the F5 key to access Advanced setup, expand Access setup → User interface → Password protect settings and enter the valid Password to continue uninstallation.
If you do not know your user-defined password, you will need to use the ESET Unlock Utility to remove it and restore access to the configuration settings. There is not a way to recover a password that has been lost or forgotten.
This product version is not compatible with the installed version. It is therefore not possible to run the reinstallation. Please uninstall current product version and restart the installation.
Make sure that you are installing a newer version of the same ESET product that you had previously installed. For additional information, visit the following ESET Knowledgebase articles:
- Which ESET product do I have and is it the latest version?
- Uninstall or reinstall my ESET home product
The header is corrupt.
This error occurs when a user tries to decompress (unRar) the .exe installation file instead of allowing the installer to automatically extract the files. If you have downloaded an ESET product installation file from ESET's website, double-click the file to initiate installation. The install files will be automatically extracted and the wizard will guide you through the installation process.
This installation package is intended for 32-bit operating systems. Please use an installation package for 64-bit operating systems.
This error occurs if you try to install an ESET product with the wrong bitness for your operating system. For example, a 32-bit product on a 64-bit system. To install the correct version of ESET or to determine which type of operating system you are using, visit one of the following ESET Knowledgebase articles:
- Home users: Which version (32-bit or 64-bit) of ESET home product should I download?
- Business users: Which version (32-bit or 64-bit) of ESET endpoint products should I download?
A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: <path>\<installer file name>.msi or a record in Application Event log Product: ESET <product name> -- Error 1316
This error message appears when the .msi installer has been renamed. File name of ESET .msi installer package has been changed.
- SOLUTION: Use ESET .msi installer package with its original file name. You can change the file name back to its original name. In case you do not know the original file name, we recommend you to download the .msi installer package again from the download section of ESET website while making sure its name does not change.
Installation has been interrupted (Install error 1618)
This error typically occurs when another Windows installation is trying to install or update on your computer. The other Windows installation may be active only in the background when the Windows Installer service continues to run as an active process.
- SOLUTION: Complete other Windows installations that are in progress. For more information about this error, visit this ESET Knowledgebase article.
The installation was not completed successfully (Error Code: MSI.1406, MSI.1303)
The error codes MSI.1406 and MSI.1303 indicate a conflict with your system permissions and the installation of ESET.
SOLUTION: Right-click the ESET installer file, click Run as Administrator, and then follow the installation wizard. If you still receive the error, create the following three folders directly on the C:\ Drive: 'ESET Security', 'ESET Modules', and 'ESET Data'. Run the ESET installer and follow the instructions based on your method below to change the default installation file path:
- Live installer or offline installer: When prompted to Enable LiveGrid and Detection of PUAs, click Change installation folder. Change the installation paths to the folders you created above and click Continue.
- Install from MSI: When prompted to Enable Detection of PUAs, click Advanced Settings. Change the installation paths to the folders you created above and click Continue.
If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please email ESET Technical Support.