Clean a GandCrab infection using the ESET GandCrab decryptor
Your ESET product detected a Win32/Filecoder.GandCrab infection
Decrypt specific variants of your files using the ESETGandCrabDecryptor.exe tool (Currently only 979 released keys for Syrian victims are supported)
Your personal files have become encrypted
Your files have been renamed with one of the following extensions: .GDCB, .CRAB, .KRAB, or .RANDOM_CHARACTERS
You receive the following messages your computer's desktop background, or in a .txt or .html file:
- "Attention! All your files documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted and have the extension..."
Click +Details for more information and additional images associated with this ransomware
Win32/Filecoder.GandCrab is a trojan that encrypts files on local drives. Users are told they have to download and install the Tor browser (commonly used for Dark Web), send information and make a payment using the Bitcoin or Dash payment service in order to decrypt their files.
- Win32/Filecoder.GandCrab threat description on virusradar.com
- ESET releases new decryptor for Syrian victims of GandCrab ransomware (welivesecurity.com)
Download the ESET GandCrab decryptor tool and save the file to your desktop.
Click Start → All Programs → Accessories, right-click Command prompt and then select Run as administrator from the context menu.
Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 users: press the Windows key + Q to search for applications, type Command prompt into the Search field, right-click Command prompt and then select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 users: press the Windows key + Q to search for applications, type Command prompt into the Search field, right-click Command prompt and then select Run as administrator from the context menu.
Type the command
cd %userprofile%\Desktop(do not replace "userprofile" with your username–type the command exactly as shown) and then press Enter.
Type the command
ESETGandCrabDecryptor.exeand press Enter.
Read and agree to the end-user license agreement.
ESETGandCrabDecryptor.exe C:and press Enter to scan the C drive. To scan a different drive replace
C:with the applicable drive letter.
- The ESET GandCrab decryptor tool will run and the "Looking for infected files..." message will be displayed. If an infection is discovered, follow the prompts from the ESET GandCrab decryptor tool to clean your system.