To troubleshoot the problematic component, you can trace the communication process as follows:
- For the error "Login failed: Communication error": There is an issue with communication between your Browser and the Webserver.
- For the error "Login failed: Connection has failed with state 'Not connected'": There is an issue with the connection between Webserver and ESMC Server or the ESMC Server and ESMC Database (but the connection between the Browser and Webserver is probably working).
I. Troubleshoot connection problems
Start with step 1 and continue to the next step until your issue is resolved. After completing each step, refresh the ESMC Web Console and then try to log in again.
- Check for any possible problem or conflict in your network. For example, if the database server is running on a different computer, the connection may be broken.
- Restart the Apache Tomcat service.
Apache Tomcat may take a few minutes to begin listening even though the service is running. Wait a few minutes and try to log in again.
- It is possible that the database service (SQL Server or MySQL) is not running. Try to connect to the database; if the connection to the database is not working, restart the database service.
- It is possible that the ESET Security Management Center Sever is not running.
The listening ports may already be in use (443, 2222, 2223 or 8443) and prevent ESMC services from running properly. See part II here: Check for any possible port conflicts.
- Look for possible errors in ESMC Server and Apache Tomcat log files.
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\Logs\
If you are still unable to log in to the ESMC Web Console, continue to part II below.
II. Reinstall ESMC Web Console
The following instructions will take between ten and twenty (10 – 20) minutes to complete depending on your network connection.
- Stop the Apache Tomcat 7 service from services.msc or navigate to your
%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin directory (for example,
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat\Tomcat7\bin) and double-click tomcat7w.exe.
%systemdrive%\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat7\Webapps\era to era.old.
- Download the latest era.war file from the following location:
- Rename the .war file to era.zip (you may need to confirm the filename extension change), right-click the file and extract the contents to the following location:
Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat7\Webapps\
- Restore this file
%systemdrive%\ to its original location.
Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat7\Webapps\era.old\WEB-INF\classess\eset\era\g2webconsole\server\modules\config\EraWebServerConfig.properties
- Start the Apache Tomcat 7 service (see step 1 above).
- Refresh the ESMC Web Console (F5) and then try to log in again. How do I open the ESET Security Management Center Web Console? (7.x).
If you are still unable to resolve this issue, include the above ESMC Server and Apache Tomcat log files and email ESET technical support.