Are ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus compatible with Windows Defender?KB Solution ID: KB2390|Last Revised: September 9, 2014
Microsoft Windows Defender is a program that comes enabled by default with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
- Windows Vista/7: All ESET products are completely compatible with Microsoft Windows Defender. Windows Defender does not contain any antivirus functionality, so you will not need to uninstall or disable Microsoft Windows Defender when installing your ESET security product.
- Windows 8: If you receive a "Detection of installed security software" notification while installing ESET on Windows 8, disable Windows Defender before you continue the installation process. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Press the Windows key + Q to search.
- Type Windows Defender in the Search field and click Windows Defender.
- Click the Settings tab and click Administrator.
- Deselect the check box next to Turn on this app and click Save changes. You will receive a notification that the app has been turned off. Click Close.
Click the image to view larger in new window
- Install your ESET product. For step-by-step instructions, click the appropriate Knowledgebase article below: