Migrate from ERA Proxy (Windows) to Apache HTTP Proxy in ESMC 7
- You have an ESET Remote Administrator (ERA) version 6 environment running the ERA Proxy (on a Windows host) component and you want upgrade to ESET Security Management Center (ESMC) 7
- ESMC does not support ERA Proxy—Apache HTTP Proxy can substitute the role of ERA Proxy in the infrastructure
ESMC 7 introduces a new generation of the Agent – Server communication protocol. The new replication protocol uses TLS and HTTP2 protocols so it can go through Proxy servers. There are also new self-recovery features and a persistent connection which improves overall communication performance.
New communication protocol does not support connection using ERA 6.x Proxy.
ESET provides pre-configured Apache installer. The user can also use other proxy solution (besides Apache HTTP Proxy) which fulfills the following conditions:
- can forward SSL communication
- supports HTTP CONNECT
- can work without authentication (ESET Management Agent does not support authentication with proxy)
However, the configuration of other proxy solutions is not provided or supported by ESET. Other proxy solutions may not support caching of the ESET Dynamic Threat Defense communication.
- ERA 6.x Agents can connect to ESMC 7 Server
- ESET Management (EM) Agent (version 7) cannot connect to ESMC Server via ERA Proxy
- EM Agent (version 7) cannot connect to ERA 6.x Server
- Do not upgrade ERA 6.x Agents before a proper proxy solution is configured
It is not possible to run the Agent deployment task on clients where ESMC server can reach only via Apache HTTP Proxy
I. Prepare your ERA 6.x environment
Back up your ERA Server (backup database, CA and certificates).
Upgrade your ERA Server to ESMC 7 via Remote Administrator Components Upgrade Task. (Server, Agent and Web Console are upgraded). When assigning a target for the task, select only the machine with the ERA Server.
Upgrade the ERA Server manually
- Download the necessary ESMC 7 component installers. ESMC Server, Agent, RD Sensor and Web Console are required. Download any other installers as needed. Do not rename downloaded .msi installer files.
Stop Apache Tomcat. Navigate to your
%TOMCAT_HOME%\bindirectory (for example,
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat\Tomcat7\bin) and double-click tomcat7w.exe.
Back up the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\erafolder and all of its contents.
EraWebServerConfig.propertiesconfiguration file located at:
C:\Program Files(x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\era\WEB-INF\classes\sk\eset\era\g2webconsole\server\modules\config\EraWebServerConfig.properties.
Delete the contents of the original
C:\Program Files(x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\erafolder (including the
In the downloaded installer files from Step a, locate the
era.warfile and extract it to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\era.
EraWebServerConfig.propertiesconfiguration file from Step d to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\era\WEB-INF\classes\sk\eset\era\g2webconsole\server\modules\config.
Double-click Server_x64.msi. Follow the ESMC Server installation process. Specify these database connection settings:
- If you installed using the all-in-one installer, in the Database drop-down menu, select MS SQL Server via Windows Authentication and click Next.
If you used an existing MS SQL Server/MySQL, select the connection type defined during installation. An administrative privileged database connection (user) is required when connecting to the ESMC Server database. Click Next.
Complete the installation of ESMC Server.
- Start the Apache Tomcat service. Depending on your system configuration, allow up to 40 seconds for the service to start.
- Open ESET Security Management Center Web Console (ESMC Web Console) in your web browser and log in. How do I open ESMC Web Console.
Wait approximately 24 hours to make sure that the upgraded environment runs smoothly.
- Upgrade the ERA Agent on the ERA Proxy machine via Security management Center Components Upgrade Task.
II. Install and configure Apache HTTP Proxy
- Install Apache HTTP Proxy on the machine where the ERA Proxy is installed. Use the pre-configured ESET version of Apache HTTP Proxy. The configuration necessary for handling connection of ESET Management Agents is included.
Modify the Apache HTTP Proxy configuration file httpd.conf located in C:\Program FIles\Apache HTTP Proxy\conf.
If you have changed the default port (2222) for the Agent, find the line
AllowCONNECT 443 563 2222and change
2222to the number of your port.
Add the hostname or IP address of your ESMC Server to the configuration file. The hostname you add must be exactly the same as Agents use to connect the ESMC Server. You can add IP address, hostname or both.
See the example code below. Add the whole segment of the code to your configuration file. Substitute
hostname.examplefor your hostname in proper escaped form, and
10.1.1.123for your IP address.
#Allow connection to my ESMC Server machine
Allow from all
If you want to use only the hostname (or IP), use the following syntax and substitute
hostname.examplefor your hostname (or IP):
#Allow connection to my ESMC Server machine<ProxyMatch ^(hostname\.example(:[0-9]+)?(\/.*)?)$>
Allow from all
Save the changes and restart the Apache HTTP Proxy service.
- If you have changed the default port (2222) for the Agent, find the line
III. Assign a transition policy to a test client
Create a new policy on your ESMC Server. In the ESMC Web Console click Policies → Create New.
In the Basic section, type a Name for the policy.
In the Settings section, select ESET Management Agent.
Navigate to Connection → Server connects to → Edit server list.
Click Add and enter the address (the address must match what Agent used in the configuration) of your ESMC Server in the Host field. Click OK.
Change the operator from Replace to Append.
Navigate to Advanced Settings → HTTP Proxy and set Proxy Configuration to Different Proxy Per Service.
Click Replication → Edit and enable the Use proxy server option.
Type the IP address of the proxy machine to the Host field.
Leave the default value 3128 for the Port.
- Click Save and Finish to save the policy. Do not assign it to any computer yet.
Choose one computer that is connected via ERA Proxy and assign the new policy to that test client.
Wait a few minutes until the policy is applied and check if the computer is still connecting to the ESMC Server.
IV. Upgrade ERA Agents on client computers
Run the Security management Center Components Upgrade Task to upgrade the selected test client computer.
- After the client is upgraded to version 7, check if it is still connecting to the ESMC Server. If the computer is successfully connecting after the upgrade, continue to upgrade other computers.
- Apply the policy (from the part III) to the other computers connected via the ERA Proxy.
Wait a few minutes until the policy is applied and check if clients are still connecting to the ESMC Server.
Run the Security management Center Components Upgrade Task on these clients.
If all clients are connecting to the ESMC Server after the upgrade is finished, you can proceed with next steps.
V. Remove ERA Proxy address from the list of servers
Modify the policy (from the part III) by navigating to Policies, clicking the gear icon next to the policy you want to modify and then clicking Edit.
In the Settings > Connection change the operator from Append to Replace.
Click Finish to save and apply the policy.
- Remove the ERA Proxy component using Client Tasks → Software Uninstall.