Install Microsoft SQL Server (database) and ESET Security Management Center Server on separate computers (7.x)
- Make sure that your system meets the system requirements for ESET Security Management Center (ESMC).
Visit the ESET Security Management Center All-in-one installer download page, select the appropriate installer file for your system and click Download. When it is finished downloading, extract the .zip file to an easy-to-find location.
This solution is divided into three parts, click each part to expand the step-by-step instructions.
- Open the folder that you extracted from the ESMC All-in-one installer file (x86 or x64 depending on the file you downloaded), navigate to Installers and double-click SQLEXPR_2008R2_x64_ENU (SQLEXPR_2008R2_x86_ENU on 32-bit systems) or SQLEXPR_2014_x64_ENU (SQLEXPR_2014_x86_ENU on 32-bit systems) depending on the version of SQL Express you want to install (the example below shows installation of SQL Server 2014).
- Click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- Read the SQL Server License Terms, select the check box next to I accept the license terms and then click Next.
Select the check box next to Use Microsoft Update to check for updates (recommended)
- After support files have finished installing, leave the default values selected and click Next.
- The default name for your database instance is SQLExpress; you can type a new name into the Named instance and Instance ID fields if you prefer to use a custom name. Click Next when you are finished.
- Keep the default settings and click Next.
- In the Database Engine Configuration window, select Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication), type a password for your database into the Enter password and Confirm password fields and then click Next.
- When the installation of SQL Server completes, click Close. Continue to part II below.
Click Start → All Programs → Microsoft SQL Server → Configuration Tools → SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Windows 8/10/Server 2016 users: Press the Windows key + Q to search, type SQL Server into the search bar and then click SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Expand SQL Server Network Configuration → Protocols for SQLEXPRESS, select the database instance that will be used with ESMC and then double-click TCP/IP.
- Select Yes from the drop-down menu under Enabled and click Apply. Click OK if you are prompted.
- Click the IP Addresses tab and navigate to the IPAII section. Set the TCP Port value to 1433 and click Apply. Click OK if you are prompted and then click OK to exit the TCP/IP window.
- Select the SQL Server Services entry from the list, right-click the database instance that will be used with ESMC and select Restart from the context menu. When you are finished, continue to part III below.
- Open the folder that you extracted from the ESMC All-in-one installer file (x86 or x64 depending on the file you downloaded), and double-click Setup .
- Click Next.
- Select Install ESET Security Management Center Server and click Next.
- Read the End-user license agreement, select I accept the terms in the license agreement if you agree and click Next. Deselect the check box Participate in product improvement program if you do not agree to send crash reports and telemetry data to ESET. If the check box is left selected, telemetry data and crash reports will be sent to ESET.
Deselect the check box next to Microsoft SQL Server Express. Optionally, select the check box next to Apache HTTP Proxy if you want to install that component. Click Install when you are ready.
If you are prompted to install prerequisites, follow the link provided, install the prerequisites and then click Retry.
Click Next to start the installation.
Select or type the below data and then click Next:
- Database: MS SQL Server
- ODBC driver: SQL Server
- Database name: era_db (This is the default database name; you can provide another name. If the database does not exist, the installer will create it.)
- Hostname: hostname of the computer where SQL database is installed
- Use named instance: keep unchecked
- Port: 1433
- Username: sa
- Password: password you set in step 8 in Section I. above
Select No in order to create a new database user.
- In the Database user for Security Management Center window, provide the new Database username (era_user is the default username) and type the Password and Password confirmation and click Next.
- Type your login password for ESET Security Management Center Web Console (ESMC Web Console) into the Password and Password confirmation fields. Make sure to record this password for later use and then click Next.
- In the Certificate information window, you can customize your certificate authority. The only mandatory fields are Authority common name and Certificate validity. Enter any information about your certificate authority that you want to add. If you create a password make sure that you record it because all client computers using this certificate will require that password to use the certificate. Click Next when you are finished.
- Select Activate with License Key and type your License Key into the appropriate field, or select Activate later. If you have an ESET-issued Username and Password from an earlier version of ERA, you can convert them into a license key using ESET Business Account. Click Next when you are finished.
- Continue with the installation of ESMC Server and other ESMC components. At the Installation successful window, click the URL link to open ESMC Web Console. We recommend that you bookmark or make note of this URL for future reference. By default, the ESMC installer will create a link to ESMC Web Console in your Start menu.Click Finish to close the installer.
- With ESET Security Management Center Server (ESMC Server) successfully installed, the next step in deployment is to locate client computers and deploy the ESET Management Agent to client computers.