Create a rule to allow or deny a connection from a remote IP address
- Allow or deny a connection with a remote IP address in ESET Windows home products
- You want to deny access to a suspicious IP address
- You are unable to connect to (or from) another computer or device, such as a printer on your network
This article applies to the following products:
- ESET Internet Security
- ESET Smart Security
- ESET Smart Security Premium
This article describes how to create a custom firewall rule to allow or deny a remote IP address, range of addresses or subnet access through your ESET Personal firewall. Adding firewall rules is not recommended, unless:
- You are an experienced user
- You have been advised to so by ESET technical support
- You are a software/hardware technician troubleshooting an issue
Press the F5 key to access Advanced setup.
Version 8.x and earlier: click Setup →Network. Click here for screenshot. Continue to step 4.
Click Personal Firewall, expand Advanced and click Edit next to Rules.
- Click Add.
Version 8.x: Click Configure rules and zones. Click here for a screenshot. Click Toggle detailed view of all rules. Click here for a screenshot. Click New to add a new rule. Click here for a screenshot.
- Type a name for the rule into the Name field, select Both from the Direction drop-down menu and then select Allow or Deny from the Action drop-down menu, depending on whether or not you want to block or allow this specific IP address.
Click the Remote tab and type the IP address, range or subnet that you would like to allow or deny in the IP field. Click OK to close the window.
Version 8.x: Click the Remote tab and click Add IPv4 address. In the Remote IP address window, type the IP address, range or subnet that you would like to allow or deny. Click here for a screenshot. IPv6 users: Select Add IPv6 address from the drop-down menu. In the Remote IPv6 address window, type the IP address or subnet that you would like to allow or deny. Click here for a screenshot. Click OK to close the window.
Select the check box next to Show built in (predefined) rules, scroll to the bottom of the list, select the new rule you added and then click the Top icon to move the rule to the top.
Click the image to view larger in new window
- Click OK twice to save your changes and exit Advanced setup.