My computer is slow or freezes after installing my Windows ESET product
- Degraded system performance
- Computer is freezing and does not allow operation in normal mode
If you have installed a Windows ESET product on a computer which already has a non-ESET antivirus product installed, you may experience degraded system performance. Please uninstall both products and reinstall your ESET software using the information contained in this article. If your computer is freezing and will not allow operation in normal mode, you will need to restart the computer in Safe Mode and disable the ESET service.
I. Disable the ESET service on startup
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
- Once you are in Safe Mode, open the Services window:
- Windows XP: Click Start → Run, type services.msc and then click OK.
- Windows Vista and Windows 7/8: Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc into the command line and then press Enter on your keyboard.
Click the image to view larger in new window
II. Uninstall all antivirus products
- Click Start → All Programs → ESET → ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus → Uninstall.
- Uninstall your previous antivirus software.
- Download a fresh copy of your ESET product onto your desktop.