ESET Remote Administrator 6—FAQ / what's new?
- What's new in ESET Remote Administrator (ERA) 6.3.x
- Important information for upgrading to ERA 6.x
ESET Remote Administrator (ERA) 6.0 was released in North America December 11th, 2014, and globally February 25, 2015, and is the successor to earlier versions of ESET Remote Administrator remote management software.
ERA 6.3 was released January 21st, 2016, and includes many new and improved features.
Below are the answers to some common questions that those familiar with earlier versions of ERA might have (for instance, those migrating from version 5 and earlier). For more information about the latest version of ESET Remote Administrator (6.3), see the Solution section below.
What's new in ERA 6?
Below is a list of the most important new items in the new architecture:
- Server Installation—You can now install the ERA Server on Linux and as a Virtual Appliance.
- Web Console—Those familiar with earlier versions of ERA will notice that the traditional ESET Remote Administrator Console has been replaced by the ERA Web Console. By placing the interface online, ERA 6 allows you to manage your network from virtually anywhere. The Web Console is the primary interface used to administer clients; it can be used to execute any of the functionalities available in earlier versions of ERA and more. See Getting to know the ERA Web Console in the ESET Remote Administrator User Guide for more details.
- ESET License Administrator—ERA 6 must be activated using an ESET-issued License key before you can begin using it. The ESET License Administrator portal allows administrators to manage credentials for their software, convert older Username and Password based credentials into License keys for use with ERA 6, and grant license management privileges to co-workers or partners. For more information, see the ESET License Administrator User Guide.
- ERA Agent—The ERA Agent must be installed on all client computers that communicate with the ERA Server. The ERA Agent facilitates all communication from the server and stores information about policies locally to allow for the fastest response to emerging threats. See our ERA Agent FAQ for more information about the ERA Agent and answers tor common questions.
- Rogue Detection Sensor (RD Sensor)—RD Sensor is installed on the same computer where the ERA Server is running and detects unprotected client computers on your network. This makes it easy to locate and add these computers in the ERA Web Console.
- ERA Proxy Server—The ERA Proxy Server can be used on larger networks to help distribute load from client computers to the ERA Server.
- ERA HTTP Proxy—The ERA HTTP Proxy serves as a central location where computers on your network can locate updates or other assets (for example, installer files for ESET products). It is comparable to the mirror server used in earlier versions of ERA
What's new in ERA 6.3?
For full list of improvements and changes, see the ERA 6.3 changelog.
Below is a list of the most important new items in the latest version:
- Mobile Device Management for Apple iOS devices—Ability to enroll iOS devices into ERA, configure policies, and execute Anti-Theft actions. ESET Mobile Device Management for Apple iOS (6.3)
- Support for ESET Virtualization Security for VMware vShield—ESET Virtual Agent Host allows virtualization of agents for all VMs protected with agentless solution using VMware vShield Endpoint.
Support for SysLog export—Ability to send to a SysLog server, which exports the logged Notifications area. Export logs to Syslog in ESET Remote Administrator (6.3)
User Management—Ability to synchronize users lists from Active Directory to use them in ERA reports and policies (Web control/Device control/iOS profiles)
How do I install ERA?
See the following Knowledgebase article: How do I install ESET Remote Administrator?
- See the following Knowledgebase article: How do I install ESET Remote Administrator?
Do I have to pay to upgrade ERA?
No, ESET customers with a valid business product license can upgrade to ERA 6.3 for free.
How to upgrade ERA to the latest version?
See the following Knowledgebase article: How do I upgrade ESET Remote Administrator to the latest version? (6.x).
- See the following Knowledgebase article: How do I upgrade ESET Remote Administrator to the latest version? (6.x).
Can I use ESET Endpoint version 5 products and/or ESET Business Edition products with ERA 6?
You can manage version 5 products with ERA 6; however, new settings available in version 6 products will not be applied in older products. The Migration Tool is a standalone application that provides a migration of ERA 4.x and 5.x data into an intermediate database and allows you to import it into ERA 6.x.
- Parametric Groups, Static groups synchronized from Active Directory, tasks and Policies from earlier versions of ERA cannot be migrated to ERA 6 because of changes to the configuration layout. We strongly recommend that you record your policy settings for reference when upgrading from an earlier version of ERA.
Data that the Migration Tool can export: Computers, Static Groups, Policies, Users, Logs (Threat, Scan, Firewall, DeviceControl, WebControl, Event).
If I upgrade ERA from previous version 5.x, can I keep my existing policy settings?
Yes, you can migrate policies from earlier versions of ESET Remote Administrator. However, see the following list of limitations for policy migration:
- Only policies from upper ERA server are migrated.
- Only policy definitions are migrated, policy relations are not being migrated.
- You will need to assign migrated policies to appropriate groups manually after the migration.
- Hierarchy of policies is omitted. In case there is an override flag in your old ERA, this flag is converted to a force in ERA 6 policy for that same setting.
If there are settings for multiple products in a single policy in old ERA, an individual policy for each product will be created in ERA 6.
If you currently use an earlier version of ERA and want to upgrade to ERA 6.3, see our Knowledgebase for a list of prerequisites and step-by-step instructions: How do I upgrade my network to ESET Remote Administrator and ESET Endpoint version 6?
What are the system requirements and supported operating systems for ERA 6?
Click the appropriate link below to view details about system requirements and supported operating systems:
What are the Known Issues in ERA 6.3?
See the following Knowledgebase article for Known Issues in version 6 business products:
Can I use my Microsoft Access database or my MariaDB database with ERA 6?
No, ERA 6 only supports Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and later or MySQL 5.5 and later. You can specify the database server that you want to use when you install ERA Server or ERA Proxy.
I don't have an existing database, can I still use ERA 6?
Yes—Microsoft SQL Server Express is included in the ERA 6 installation package. You have the option to install a new SQL Express database that will be configured for use with ERA 6 using default settings. Please note that Microsoft SQL Server Express has a 10GB size limit.
You cannot install Microsoft SQL Server Express on a Domain Controller during ESET Remote Administrator installation. This is likely to happen if you are using Microsoft SBS. If you use Microsoft SBS, we recommend that you install ESET Remote Administrator on a different server or do not select the SQL Server Express component during the installation (this requires you to use an existing SQL Server or MySQL to run ERA database).
How do I find my SQL server port number for use during installation?
The most accurate way to check the port number used by your SQL server is to open SQL Configuration manager and navigate to TCP/IP properties under SQL Server Network Configuration.
It is very difficult to tell if SQL Server installation is running, is it normal for installation to take longer than 10 minutes?
This is normal. Depending on your system configuration, SQL server installation can take up to 1 hour.
During installation using my existing MySQL database, I receive the notification "it is not possible to store large blocks of data in the database, please configure the database server first".
To resolve this issue, locate your MySQL configuration file (my.ini in Windows and my.cnf in Linux). Open this file using a text editor and locate the [mysqld] section. Add a line to this section that reads max_allowed_packet=33M. The value entered must be 33M or greater for installation to succeed.
For MySQL 5.6.20 and 5.6.21:innodb_log_file_size needs to be set to at least 200 MB
For MySQL >= 5.6.22:innodb_log_file_size*innodb_log_files_in_group needs to be set to at least 200 MB (* is multiplication, a product of the two parameters must be >= 200 MB)
I am getting an error message "The size of BLOB/TEXT data inserted in one transaction is greater than 10% of redo log size. Increase the redo log size using innodb_log_file_size. (1118)" or simillar in ERA Server trace log.
To resolve this issue, follow the steps described in point 14 above.
The installer says I must install Microsoft .NET framework 3.5, however I cannot install it in Windows Server 2012 using the link provided
The installer provided by this link cannot be used in Windows Server 2012 because of security policies present in Server 2012. Use the Roles and Features Wizard to install .NET 3.5 instead.
I already have the Microsoft .NET 4.5 framework installed on my server, do I have to install Microsoft .NET 3.5?
Yes, Microsoft .NET framework 4.5 is not backwards compatible, so you must install .NET 3.5 specifically.
Can I deploy ERA 6 in a virtualized environment?
Yes—ERA 6 is compatible with VMware, Hyper-V and Virtualbox virtualized environments. You can use the ERA 6 Open Virtualization Appliance (OVA) file to deploy ERA Server and ERA Proxy Server in your virtualized environment. See our virtualization FAQ for more information about using ESET products on a VM. For detailed instructions to install the ERA Virtual Appliance, see the ESET Remote Administrator User Guide.
Do I have to install the ERA Agent manually?
No, ERA 6 can locate computers on your network and distribute the ERA Agent to them remotely. See our Knowledgebase article, or read the ESET Remote Administrator 6 Basic Setup Guide for instructions to deploy the Agent to clients on your network.
Can I use the ERA Agent to deploy ERA Proxy Server?
No, ERA Proxy Server must be installed manually. You can, however, distribute the installer to target clients using email.
I am an ESET Managed Service Provider (MSP), can I upgrade to ERA 6?
ESET offers the following RMM plug-ins for use with ESET Remote Administrator versions 5.3 and later: Kaseya, LabTech, Tigerpaw, ConnectWise, Autotask. For more information, see the Remote Management product page.
What is the benefit of ESET License Administrator?
ESET License Administrator combines the different licensing credentials used by older ESET products into a single License key. This eliminates the need for license files that were used by ESET products in the past. Additionally, the ESET License Administrator portal allows a License Owner to administrate their license usage by creating Security Admin accounts. The License Owner maintains full control of license usage and can delegate control of license credentials to Security Admins who are able to manage specific users. For more information, see the ESET License Administrator User Guide.
ESET provides support in the form of User Guides, fully localized application help, online Knowledgebase, and applicable to your region, chat, email or phone support.
ESET Remote Administrator Online Help contains comprehensive reference information for system settings, configurations, installation scenarios and more.
- ERA Installation/Upgrade: Contains content for the installation process, upgrade procedures and using the migration tool
- ERA Administration: Contains content for how to manage and configure ERA including Post Installation Tasks and license management
- Virtual Appliance Deployment: Contains content for deploying ERA in a virtualized environment
- Visit www.eset.com/contact to email ESET technical support or for personalized assistance in North America, call 619-630-2400 (6:00am - 6:00pm Pacific Time, Monday - Friday).
- For other questions, such as troubleshooting, FAQs and tutorial videos, you can search the ESET Knowledgebase.
- For ERA videos, see the ESET Knowledgebase YouTube channel.
- Added: Mobile Device Management for Apple iOS devices (ability to enroll iOS devices into ERA, configure policies, and execute Anti-Theft actions)
- Added: Support for ESET Virtualization Security for VMware vShield (new component, ESET Virtual Agent Host allows virtualization of agents for all VMs protected with agentless solution using VMware vShield Endpoint)
- Added: Support for SysLog export (ability to send to a SysLog server, which exports the logged Notifications area (for example, Scan Log, Virus Log, Firewall Log) from ESET Remote Administrator Server)
- Added: User Management (ability to synchronize users lists from Active Directory to use them in ERA reports and policies (Web control/Device control/iOS profiles))
- Added: Ability to search within a policy tree
- Added: Option to create new ESET Remote Administrator Certification Authority during Certificate creation
- Added: Option to install or upgrade standalone Apache HTTP Proxy is available in the all-in one installer
- Changed: Completely redesigned tasks and triggers section to allow the ability to observe granular tasks status and rerun tasks including failed tasks
- Changed: Licensing view now includes information about “subunits” (mailboxes, connections, users) and their use, and also displays license type
- Changed: Anti-Theft actions task has been improved and icons of supported platforms have been added to task details
- Improved: It is now possible to view SysInspector snapshots history and logs in the Client Details window and to view exported configurations as a list with the possibility to expand details for each export
- Improved: Redesigned mobile device enrollment process
- Improved: It is now possible to use a “does not contain” condition (negation) in dynamic group creation wizard
- Improved: Other minor usability improvements
- Improved: Dynamic groups for mobile devices are added by default
- Improved: Documentation improvements and changes
- Fixed: System is unresponsive or crashes with ERA Agent and ERA Server installed, due to issues caused by Microsoft WFP bug
- Fixed: “Threat Details” option is unavailable from some threat reports
- Fixed: Problems with ESET Remote Administrator agent waking up computers from sleep
- Fixed: Admin cannot remove password protection from policy without knowing the client password
- Fixed: Agent UUID is displayed in generated email for notification instead of the computer name
- Fixed: Unable to deploy ESET Remote Administrator for Mac OS X on OS X 10.11 El Capitan
- Fixed: Reported application crashes
- Fixed: Other bugfixes