ESET Secure Authentication FAQ
ESET Secure Authentication: Frequently Asked Questions
What is ESET Secure Authentication?
ESET Secure Authentication (ESA) is a mobile-based solution that uses two-factor, one-time password (2FA OTP) authentication for accessing a company’s VPN (Virtual Private Network) and Microsoft Web Applications (such as Outlook Web App).
- For more information about product features and benefits, visit the ESET Secure Authentication product page.
What are the supported environments for ESET Secure Authentication Server?
The installer automatically selects all components that can be installed on the current computer, with the exception of the Core Authentication Service, which is only selected by default on the first installation.
ESA Services and management tools: 32-bit/64-bit versions of Windows Server: 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2
(Management tools are also supported on client operating systems from Windows XP SP3 and later)
Microsoft Small Business Server 2008, 2011
Windows Server 2012 Essentials and 2012 R2 Essentials
Active Directory domain: Windows 2000 Native (minimum supported functional level)
- Compatibility with Microsoft Threat Management Gateway (TMG) and Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server (ISA).
- ESA Services and management tools: 32-bit/64-bit versions of Windows Server: 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2
Which Microsoft Web Applications are supported?
Microsoft Exchange 2007
- Outlook Web Access
Microsoft Exchange 2010
- Outlook Web App
- Exchange Control Panel
Microsoft Exchange 2013
- Outlook Web App
- Exchange Admin Center
Outlook Web App login protected by ESET Secure Authentication
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2015
- Microsoft SharePoint 2010
- Microsoft SharePoint 2013
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Web Access
- Microsoft Terminal Services Web Access
- Microsoft Remote Web Access (the product formerly known as Remote Web Workplace)
- Microsoft Exchange 2007
Which mobile devices are supported?
- iPhone iOS 4.3 or higher
- Android™ 2.1 or higher
- Windows Phone 7 or higher
- Windows Mobile 6
- BlackBerry® 4.3 to 7.1
- BlackBerry® 10
- Symbian® - all supporting J2ME
- All J2ME enabled phones
How do I install and configure ESET Secure Authentication?
ESET Secure Authentication Setup Checklist.
Client-side (mobile app): Visit one of the following Knowledgebase articles for your mobile device
Can ESET Secure Authentication be used with ESET Remote Administrator?
ESET Secure Authentication is not managed using ESET Remote Administrator. However, ESET Secure Authentication Server can be installed on the same server as ESET Remote Administrator.
Can ESET Secure Authentication Server be used with my existing VPN?
Visit our Knowledgebase article for a list of supported VPNs with links to integration guides that detail the best practices when using ESET Secure Authentication with each.
Can I use ESET Secure Authentication to add two-factor authentication (2FA) to my existing authentication application?
Yes, the ESET Secure Authentication API allows you to add 2FA to your existing application. For more information, see the ESET Secure Authentication API user guide.
How is ESET Secure Authentication updated?
Server-side: The server application is updated by uninstalling the current version, and then downloading and reinstalling the application from the ESET website.
Client-side: The mobile app updates over the Internet using your device's app manager (for example: Google Play, Apple App Store, Windows Phone Apps store, etc.).
Who pays for SMS messages?
You are responsible for all costs associated with receiving SMS messages (for example, data transmission or roaming fees).
Can ESET Secure Authentication be used with VMWare View platform?
Yes. VMware is supported by ESET Secure Authentication.
Can the ESET Secure Authentication mobile app be installed on a device that has ESET Mobile Security or ESET Endpoint Security for Android installed?
Yes. The ESET Mobile Security products are separate and do not interfere with the ESET Secure Authentication mobile app.
Which languages are available?
The curent release is only available in English. The Mobile Applications are available in English, German, French, Spanish, Russian and Slovak.
What are the Known Issues?
- When an SMS OTP user is logged into OWA on Exchange 2010 and the browser session is idle, the system may send an occasional SMS OTP despite the fact that the user is already logged in.
- ESET Secure Authentication cannot be installed in multiple domain Active Directory environments by admin other than Domain Admin. The version which fixes this issue will be released in the shortest time possible.