Activate ESET Anti-Theft and associate devices or mark a device missing
What is Anti-Theft?
Our personal devices are constantly at risk of being lost or stolen. If your device is ever lost or stolen, ESET Anti-Theft allows you to monitor usage and track your missing device anywhere in the world by using IP address localization. ESET Anti-Theft not only helps you track and retrieve your missing device, it also protects your personal data.
How does Anti-Theft work?
Once installed on your device, ESET Smart Security integrates with the ESET Anti-Theft web interface. Use your my.eset.com account to manage the state of your device and trigger monitoring if the device is ever lost or stolen. When a device is declared lost or stolen, ESET Smart Security automatically begins relaying information from your device to your account, no matter where in the world your device is. Any time your missing device accesses the internet, ESET Smart Security sends updated screenshots, webcam images and GPS coordinates to the Anti-Theft web interface.
Android users: click here
- Open ESET Smart Security. How do I open my ESET product?
- Click Tools → Anti-Theft.
On my.eset.com, click Create new account. Complete the registration form (all fields are mandatory).
- Email: It is not necessary to register the account to the same email address used for ESET product license registration. Two accounts cannot be registered to one email address.
- Password: A minimum of 8 characters, must contain letters and numbers. A lost password recovery function is available for the account. It is also possible to create a new my.eset.com account during the installation process.
If you registered during installation, then you should have received an email with a confirmation link that, when clicked, activates your my.eset.com account. You can use the same email and password combination to login for this step.
- In the main ESET Smart Security program window, click Setup → Security tools.
- Click the slider bar next to ESET Anti-Theft.
- Enter your my.eset.com account credentials and then click Sign in.
- In the Device name field, type a name for your device and then click Next.
- Click Finish. This device is associated to your my.eset.com account and ESET Anti-Theft is enabled. All devices associated with your my.eset.com account are accessible from the Home tab of my.eset.com web interface. Click View details to manage a device's status, activity, diagnostics, messages and other settings. For more information on my.eset.com, refer to the My ESET Online Help topic.
- Go to my.eset.com, log into your account and select the missing device or computer. Click My device is missing.
The confirmation message below appears. Review the information provided and click Mark as missing.
Figure 2-2In addition, the following ESET Anti-Theft features are activated:
- Email notifications are sent stating the device status has been changed to missing.
- When the missing computer or device logs online, ESET Smart Security records information at regular intervals. View this data in your my.eset.com account, on the Activity tab.
- The missing device automatically restarts within three minutes of logging online. A Phantom Account is created for the missing device. The purpose of the Phantom Account is to protect your real user accounts. In ESET Anti-Theft setup, you were prompted to password-protect all your accounts. A Phantom Account requires no password, and therefore is easily accessible for the person with your device. The Phantom Account is automatically opened when the missing device logs online (while your actual accounts are hidden), it collects data on the device location and sends the data to your my.eset.com account.
We highly recommended taking the following actions to mitigate potential damage caused by criminals:
- Report the loss or theft of your device to police with a detailed description including the make, color and serial number
- Only share my.eset.com information (for example, any pictures captured with the built-in camera) with police
- Change your email account password
- Change your internet banking password and monitor your bank accounts for suspicious transactions
- Change all your social media account passwords