The Apple iPhone is detected as a portable device in Windows Vista/7/2008
In Windows Vista/7/2008, the Apple iPhone is detected as a portable device, not a removable device
In Windows XP, the Apple iPhone may be detected as a digital camera, not a removable device
- In both cases, Apple iPhones are not managed by the Device Control feature of ESET products
As a workaround, you can deny or restrict the usage of such devices in your network using Group Policy Management. To restrict or block the use of Portable Devices using Group Policy Management, follow the steps below:
- Click Start, and then in the Search box enter mmc gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy Management Editor. In the navigation pane, the Local Computer Policy is divided into Computer Configuration and User Configuration. Settings are identical in both configurations.
- Select Computer Configuration or User Configuration based on the criteria noted above, then expand Administrative Templates → System → Removable Storage Access.
- Double-click the policy setting for WPD, (Windows Portable Devices) that corresponds to the kind of restriction you want enforced (for example, double-click WPD Devices: Deny read access if you want to deny read access to your Apple iPhone). Select the corresponding radio button to Enable or Disable a policy setting.
- Click Apply → OK to save your changes. You can repeat steps 4 and 5 for other restrictions to this device type.