Are ESET products compatible with Windows Defender?
Microsoft Windows Defender is a program that comes enabled by default with Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Windows Vista/7: All ESET products are completely compatible with Microsoft Windows Defender. Windows Defender does not contain any antivirus functionality, so you will not need to uninstall or disable Microsoft Windows Defender when installing your ESET product.
- Windows 8: If you receive a "Detection of installed security software" notification while installing ESET on Windows 8, disable Windows Defender before you continue the installation process.
Click the Windows icon → Settings.
Click Update & security.
Click Windows Defender and click the slider bars under Real-time protection, Cloud-based Protection, and Sample submission so that they are in the Off position.
- Close the Update & Security window.
Press the Windows key + Q to search.
- Type Windows Defender in the Search field and click Windows Defender.
Click the Settings tab and click Administrator.
- Deselect the check box next to Turn on this app and click Save changes. You will receive a notification that the app has been turned off. Click Close.
- Install your ESET product. For step-by-step instructions, click the appropriate Knowledgebase article below: